This post contains some of the best positive self-talk quotes.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Positive Self Talk Quotes
1. “A person imbued with compassion and self-understanding can readily love oneself and exhibit endless sympathy for all people. A person who is unkind to their self can never transcend their corrupt barriers much less run into the world with open arms enthusiastically embracing humankind and all of nature with uninhibited friendliness and goodwill.” ― Kilroy J. Oldster
2. “Accomplishments don’t erase shame, hatred, cruelty, silence, ignorance, discrimination, low self-esteem or immorality. It covers it up, with a creative version of pride and ego. Only restitution, forgiving yourself and others, compassion, repentance and living with dignity will ever erase the past.” ― Shannon L. Alder
3. “Bring acceptance and compassionate self-talk. Say nice things to yourself – you’re the only one listening. Tell yourself. I am doing the best I can.” – Gabrielle Bernstein
“You’ve been criticising yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” ― Louise Hay
4. “Stop walking through the world looking for confirmation that you don’t belong. You will always find it because you’ve made that your mission. Stop scouring people’s faces for evidence that you’re not enough. You will always find it because you’ve made that your goal. True belonging and self-worth are not goods; we don’t negotiate their value with the world. The truth about who we are lives in our hearts. Our call to courage is to protect our wild heart against constant evaluation, especially our own. No one belongs here more than you.” ― Brené Brown
5. “Talk to ourselves in the same way we’d talk to someone we’d love. Yes, you made a mistake. You’re human. You don’t have to do it like anyone else does. Fixing it and making amends will help. Self-loathing will not. Reach out to someone we trust–a person who has earned the right to hear our story and who has the capacity to respond with empathy.” ― Brené Brown
6. “Turn down the volume of your negative inner voice and create a nurturing inner voice to take it’s place. When you make a mistake, forgive yourself, learn from it, and move on instead of obsessing about it. Equally important, don’t allow anyone else to dwell on your mistakes or shortcomings or to expect perfection from you.” ― Beverly Engel
7. “The way you choose to think and speak about yourself (to yourself and others), IS A CHOICE! You may have spent your whole life talking about yourself in a negative way, but that doesn’t mean you have to continue that path.” ― Miya Yamanouchi
8. “Flip a negative statement of jealousy into a positive statement about your values, goals and abilities? For example, “I am grateful I am someone who wants to be the best I can be, and who works hard to achieve my goals”.” ― Lauren Martin
9. “Talk to yourself as you would someone you love.” — Brené Brown
10. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” — Jack Kornfield
11. “I found in my research that the biggest reason people aren’t more self-compassionate is that they are afraid they’ll become self-indulgent. They believe self-criticism is what keeps them in line. Most people have gotten it wrong because our culture says being hard on yourself is the way to be.” — Kristen Neff
12. “People with positive self-talk are more successful in their careers, relationships, and life in general.” – Unknown
13. “Convince yourself everyday that you are worthy of a good life. Let go of stress, breathe. Stay positive, all is well.” ― Germany Kent
14. “Your self-talk is the channel of behavior change” ― Gino Norris
15. “If I’m not talking myself out of depression, I’m talking myself into depression.” ― Curtis Tyrone Jones
16. “Remember that positive self-talk is an intrinsic part of a healthy mind.” ― Asa Don Brown
17. “Self-Talk is the most important conversation of your life.” ― Jesus Apolinaris
18. “Self-talk should be a conversation of priority with oneself. It can be encouraging when having a positive outlook on life with your thoughts, beliefs, and ideas. Be Optimistic with positive thinking, and it can be an effective way to better your wellbeing with excellent outcomes in life. As a result, you will have greater life satisfaction.” ― Jesus Apolinaris
19. “Effective self-talk strategies can give us a greater sense of control over our doubts, worries, and fears.” ― Noel Brick
20. “Listen to the words you say. The very words you say to them are the very words you need to hear. Humans tend to give each other what they themselves need. So tell them these important things and then turn around and tell them to your very own heart.” ― Kate McGahan
21. “Everything you attract into your life is a reflection of the story you believe and keep telling yourself.” ― Farshad Asl
What Does Positive Self-Talk Sound Like?
Positive self-talk sounds like a supportive and uplifting inner dialogue that focuses on encouraging and empowering oneself. Here are some examples of what positive self-talk may sound like:
1. “I am capable, and I believe in my abilities.”
2. “I have the strength and resilience to overcome any challenges I face.”
3. “I am worthy of love, happiness, and success in all areas of my life.”
4. “I embrace my uniqueness and celebrate my individuality.”
5. “I choose to focus on the present moment and find joy in the little things.”
6. “I am proud of myself for the progress I’ve made, no matter how small.”
7. “I trust in my intuition and make decisions that align with my values.”
8. “I am deserving of self-care and prioritize my well-being.”
9. “I let go of negative thoughts and replace them with positive affirmations.”
10. “I am grateful for all the experiences that have shaped me into who I am.”
It’s important to note that positive self-talk should be personalized to your own specific needs and goals.
The key is to replace self-criticism and negativity with compassionate and motivational self-statements that promote self-acceptance, confidence, and growth.
FREE Self-Love Resources
- The Gifts of Imperfection By Brené Brown
- Self-Love Workbook for Women By Megan Logan
- Self-Love Workbook for Black Women By Rachel Johnson
- Self-Care Worksheets: Download PDF
- Self-Compassionate Statements: Download PDF
- Self-Esteem Worksheets: Download PDF
- Say yes to you : a guide to self-love | Lily Zhao
- Self-Love: If You Do Only One Thing, Do This! | Frankie Côté
- Self-Love, be Intentional | Caitlyn Roux
- Mary’s Cup of Tea Podcast: The Self-Love Podcast for Women: Mary Jelkovsky’s podcast explores the depths of feminism, body positivity, self-worth and much more.
- She’s All Fat: A podcast described as ‘radical self-love’ hosted by Sophie and April.
Hadiah is a counselor who is passionate about supporting individuals on their journey towards mental well-being. Hadiah not only writes insightful articles on various mental health topics but also creates engaging and practical mental health worksheets.
As a BetterHelp affiliate, we may receive a commission from BetterHelp, at zero cost to you, if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.