This post contains some of the best attachment quotes.
What Is Attachment?
Attachment refers to the emotional bond that forms between a child and their primary caregiver, typically the mother or father.
This bond is essential for a child’s healthy emotional and social development and is believed to form the foundation for all future relationships throughout life.
Attachment is based on the need for safety, security, and comfort, and it develops as a result of consistent and responsive caregiving from the parent or caregiver.
Attachment theory suggests that children develop different attachment styles depending on the quality and consistency of care they receive.
The four main attachment styles are secure, insecure-avoidant, insecure-resistant, and disorganized.
Securely attached children tend to have positive beliefs about themselves and their relationships, whereas insecurely attached children may have negative beliefs and struggle with intimacy, trust, and emotional regulation.
Attachment also plays a role in adult relationships, with individuals tending to carry their childhood attachment style into their romantic relationships.
Understanding one’s attachment style can be helpful in identifying patterns and areas for growth in relationships and can also inform therapeutic interventions.
1. “…attachment does not prevent a person from leaving.” – Karen Casey
2. “A thought is harmless unless we believe it. It’s not our thoughts, but our attachment to our thoughts, that causes suffering. Attaching to a thought means believing that it’s true, without inquiring. A belief is a thought that we’ve been attaching to, often for years.” ― Byron Katie
3. “Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached. ” ― Simone Weil
4. “Attachment to others and what they might be thinking, coupled with analyzing how our behavior might change that thinking, is a great definition for codependence. Many suffer from it.” – Karen Casey
5. “Attachment to people deadlocks our growth.” – Karen Casey
6. “Detachment means letting go and nonattachment means simply letting be.” ― Stephen Levine
7. “Letting go of our attachment to how our life should unfold is a wonderful gift to give ourselves.” – Karen Casey
8. “Our attachments to others are not healthy, for any of us. And others aren’t ever present for that reason. Let’s not forget that.” – Karen Casey
9. “People seem to get used to anything, and it is a short step from adaptation to attachment.” ― Lionel Shriver
10. “Renew, release, let go. Yesterday’s gone. There’s nothing you can do to bring it back. You can’t “should’ve” done something. You can only DO something. Renew yourself. Release that attachment. Today is a new day!” ― Steve Maraboli
11. “The attachment to the little things, though, and the fleeting moments of every day can confer connection and expectation. (“The grass was greener over there”)” ― Erik Pevernagie
12. “The reason many people in our society are miserable, sick, and highly stressed is because of an unhealthy attachment to things they have no control over.” ― Steve Maraboli
13. “This might seem like an odd suggestion, but our attachment to others can prevent us from taking care of our personal needs: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. When that’s the case, we may well succumb to ill health.” – Karen Casey
14. “Though surely to avoid attachments for fear of loss is to avoid life.” ― Lionel Shriver
15. “We feel more comfortable in the throes of the chaos of someone else’s life. And until we have experienced freedom from this kind of attachment, and the joy it offers, we will continue to search for the person who will allow us to choose his or her life to live, rather than live our own.” – Karen Casey
16. “Let go of your attachment to being right, and suddenly your mind is more open. You’re able to benefit from the unique viewpoints of others, without being crippled by your own judgment.” – Osho
17. “Dying was apparently a weaning process; all the attachments to familiar people and objects have to be undone.” – Lisa Alther
18. “Get attached to your inner peace, and there will be no other attachment in your life. Inner peace is the most addictive.” – Nitin Namdeo
19. “Understand that you own nothing. Everything that surrounds you is temporary; only the love in your heart will last forever.” – Leon Brown
20. “This is the problem with getting attached to someone. When they leave, you just feel lost.” – Unknown
21. “Detachment is not about refusing to feel or not caring or turning away from those you love. Detachment is profoundly honest, grounded firmly in the truth of what is.” – Sharon Salzberg
22. “You live life better when you are free from the fear of losing.” – Nitin Namdeo
23. “Excessive attachment to anything in life makes you mentally enslaved.” – Nitin Namdeo
24. “Attachment to the outcome destroys your creativity.” – Nitin Namdeo
25. “Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” – Yoda
26. “For the person who has learned to let go and let be, nothing can ever get in the way again.” – Meister Eckhart
27. “Misery is nothing but the shadow of attachment. And hence all stagnancy. The attached person becomes a stagnant pool — sooner or later he will stink. He flows no more.” – Osho
28. “Attachment is the very opposite of love. Love says ‘I want you to be happy.’ Attachment says, ‘I want you to make me happy.’” – Tenzin Palmo
29. “The less attached you are, the more peaceful you are.” – Unknown
30. “A lot of people don’t have a genuine connection with their partner, they just have an unhealthy attachment.” – Stephan Labossiere
As a BetterHelp affiliate, we may receive a commission from BetterHelp, at zero cost to you, if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.