This post contains love addiction test and helpful resources to help you stop love addiction.
What Is Love Addiction?
Love addiction causes fixations and compulsions in love interests. This can manifest in enmeshment, clinginess, emotional distress and anxiety in relationships, along with other love addiction symptoms.
Even though love addiction is not recognized by DSM-5 as a specific diagnosis, it can still cause so much emotional and physical distress and strain relationships. (*)
Love Addiction Test
#1. Do you strongly believe that you can only receive love or validation if you earn it?
#2. Do you tend to prioritize the needs of others before your own?
#3. Do you tend to put your relationship at the center of your world, spending a lot of time thinking about the person?
#4. Do you struggle with emotional intimacy and allowing yourself to be vulnerable?
#5. Do you need constant validation from your partner?
#6. Do you often have a strong urge to stay connected, even if they don’t feel the same way?
#7. Do you struggle with boundaries setting?
#8. Do you fear letting go and find yourself stuck in toxic relationships?
#9. Do often you try to change or “fix” others because you believe that unless they change you can’t be happy?
#10. Do you need others to feel complete?
#11. Are your romantic feelings causing problems for you at work, school, home, health, etc.?
#12. Do you against your personal values to maintain the relationship?
We will not sell your information. All results are kept confidential.
This quiz is for informational purposes only. It is not meant as a diagnostic or assessment tool.
The questions above represent common signs of love addiction. If you answered yes to most of these questions, then love addiction may be a problem for you.
Related: Top 5 Tips On How To Recover From Love Addiction
Love Addiction Resources
Love addiction rehab and treatment centers
Addiction center directory: find a rehab center near you
The Refuge offers holistic and experiential residential treatment in a serene, secluded healing environment for love addiction recovery, moving beyond the symptoms to resolve the underlying issues.
The Ranch uses a blend of traditional and experiential therapies. They help clients uncover, accept and move beyond their obsessions with romance and fantasy.
Love addiction treatment
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can help the love addict gain self-awareness and become mindful of their thoughts.
Love Addiction Therapy
Choose your support system wisely. Consider online therapy and choose from thousands of licensed therapists and mental health counselors. Connect wherever and whenever it’s convenient for you by phone, texts, or video sessions. Check out Online-therapy now and get 20% off with this link >>
Other types of therapies like experiential therapy, family therapy programs, mindfulness practices, shame reduction methods, equine-assisted therapy, can also be helpful.
Meditation can also help reduce anxiety.
Love addicts anonymous meetings
Due to the physical and emotional dependence love addiction can cause, the love addict can use the same 12-step principles used by other addicts.
Love Addicts Anonymous International
Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous (S.L.A.A.)
Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous (S.L.A.A.) UK
S.L.A.A. Women’s Phone Meeting Group
- Portions of this article were adapted from the book Breakup Bootcamp: The Science of Rewiring Your Heart, © 2020 by Amy Chan. All rights reserved.
- Portions of this article were adapted from the book Is It Love Or Is It Addiction, © 1987 by Brenda Schaeffer. All rights reserved.
- Love Addiction – Addiction Center
- What Is Love Addiction? | Psychology Today
- Love Addiction: Definition, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment (verywellmind.com)
- Common Indicators of Love Addiction | Love Addiction Treatment TN (recoveryranch.com)
- Love Addiction: What It Really Means and How to Handle It (healthline.com)
- Addicted to love: What is love addiction and when should it be treated? – PMC (nih.gov)
- Is It Love or Addiction? Learn the Signs and Causes of ‘Love Addiction (psychcentral.com)
- Love addiction – Wikipedia
- Love Addiction: The Stages of Codependency | Psych Central
- Love or Codependency – How to Tell | Discover Recovery
- Healing from Patterns of Codependency and Love Addiction – Rising Woman