The following are books on gaslighting to help you embark on your recovery journey.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
What Is Gaslighting?
Gaslighting is a psychological manipulation that leaves you feeling isolated and confused.
The gaslighter will try to make you feel you are the one at fault.
Gaslighting can occur in romantic and on romantic relationships, including personal, professional, and workplace relationships.
Since gaslighting can be subtle and worsen over time. This is why it is crucial to become aware of the early warning signs to help you know when you are being gaslighted.
Best 10 Books On Gaslighting
1. Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery
By Don Barlow
In this book, you will discover:
- The sneaky tactics gaslighters employ that catch you off-guard and make you more vulnerable to their exploitation
- How to hold on to your grip on reality, despite the gaslighter’s efforts to undermine it
- Powerful ways to respond to gaslighters, block their attacks, and take back control of the conversation
- Why self-care is a critical component in coping with abuse, especially if you need to regularly interact with a gaslighter
- The shift in mindset to help you finally gain the courage to escape an abusive relationship
- What you need to do after leaving a gaslighting relationship to make sure you don’t fall into the same cycle again
- Why you shouldn’t expect any closure from your abuser, and why you can still move on without it
- How to rebuild your sense of self after years of being torn down by others
And much more.
2. The Gaslight Effect
By Dr. Robin Stern
In this groundbreaking guide, the prominent therapist Dr. Robin Stern shows how the Gaslight Effect works, how you can decide which relationships can be saved and which you have to walk away from—and how to gasproof your life so you’ll avoid gaslighting relationship.
Related: Am I Being Gaslighted Quiz (& How To Recover From Gaslighting In 10 Steps)
By Deborah Vinall PsyD LMFT
This book gives you the tools to recognize it and the steps to begin healing.
- The truth about gaslighting―Find clear definitions of exactly what gaslighting is, how gaslighters operate, and safe ways to manage and avoid them.
- Proven techniques―Use strategies from methods like mindfulness and acceptance and commitment therapy to set boundaries, reclaim your sense of self, and build healthier relationships.
- Realistic examples―Read anecdotes about people who’ve experienced different types of gaslighting to help you see what it looks like and understand that it isn’t your fault.
- Written exercises―Find insightful questions and thoughtful prompts to help you identify examples of emotional abuse within your life and process your feelings.
By Stephanie Moulton Sarkis PhD
In her book, Dr. Stephanie Sarkis covers gaslighting in every life scenario, sharing:
- Why gaslighters seem so “normal” at first
- Warning signs and examples
- Gaslighter “red flags” on a first date
- Practical strategies for coping
- How to coparent with a gaslighter
- How to protect yourself from a gaslighter at work
- How to walk away and rebuild your life
Related: How To Turn The Tables On A Gaslighter?
By Linda Hill
In this groundbreaking guide, you will:
- Understand what gaslighting, love bombing and other tactics of abuse the narcissist uses.
- How to break free and recover from narcissistic abuse.
- Read real-world scenarios and phrases between the narcissist and the victims in romantic relationships, friendships, families, the workplace, and more.
- Learn to spot the 15 hidden signs of narcissistic abuse and quickly identify them so you don’t fall for these tactics.
- Identify the 10 stages of gaslighting which are used to gain control of the victim – how and why it works.
- Discover 5 powerful steps to deal with narcissists. (Most people get this wrong!)
- Understand simple yet effective strategies to protect yourself from being manipulated and abused.
- Important ways to heal and move on in your relationships regardless of what has happened.
- And much, much more!
Related: 5 Weird Things Covert Narcissists Do To Manipulate Their Victims
By Dr. Stephanie Sharp
In this book, you will:
- Identify the narcissists in your life: Spot out the toxic people in your life so you can finally distance yourself from them and keep yourself safe.
- Understand the types of narcissistic abuse: Gaslighting is just the tip of the iceberg. Discover the other types of abuse and take the time to reflect on your life and know if you’re a victim of them too.
- Protect yourself and heal: Consider the future with tips and tricks on what life will be like after those toxic people are gone from your life. From now on, remember to always put yourself first!
- Avoid future manipulation: Master common gaslighter techniques and know exactly how to deflect and avoid them.
- Break free from emotional and psychological abuse!
Related: 21 Stages of a Narcissist Relationship (+FREE Breakup Recovery Worksheets)
7. In Sheep’s Clothing
By Dr. George K. Simon Ph.D.
In this eye-opening book, you’ll discover…
* 4 reasons why victims have a hard time leaving abusive relationships
* Power tactics manipulators use to push their own agendas and justify their behavior
*Ways to redefine the rules of engagement between you and an abuser
* How to spot potential weaknesses in your character that can set you up for manipulation
* 12 tools for personal empowerment to help you maintain greater strength in all relationships
Related: 8 Stages Of Healing After Narcissistic Abuse (+FREE Breakup Recovery Worksheets)
Workbooks & Journals On Gaslighting
8. The Gaslighting Recovery Workbook
By Amy Marlow-MaCoy LPC
This workbook includes will help you:
- Identify and understand abusive personality disorders
- Grow through a positive and actionable approach filled with exercises that provide relief and recovery from abuse.
- Reflect through well thought out, interactive exercises encourage thoughtful and comprehensive introspection, including a ‘letter of commitment’ to yourself.
Related: Top 10 Tips For Setting Boundaries With Narcissistic Parents
9. The Gaslighting Recovery Journal
By Amy Marlow-MaCoy LPC
This journal can be used on its own or alongside The Gaslighting Recovery Workbook.
- Guided writing prompts―Reflect on and understand your big questions and complicated feelings with detailed prompts and plenty of room to write.
- Holistic healing―Find exercises that help establish boundaries, boost self-esteem, and discover your strengths and values.
- Healthy relationship building―Learn how to seek out and develop happy and healthy relationships in the future.
Related: Top 5 Reasons Why Narcissists Target Empaths – & How to Starve The Narcissist of Supply
10. Gaslighting Recovery Workbook
By Mary Perlman
In this workbook, you will learn:
- Warning Signs and Symptoms of Gaslighting, so you can understand what Gaslighting looks like in every relationship of your life.
- Phase One: Recognition and Self-Compassion, so you can prepare yourself to start the healing process.
- Phase Two: Building Self-Esteem, so you can get back to trust yourself again.
- Phase Three: Defining Boundaries and Disarming Gaslighters, so you can get rid of Gaslighters and learn how to deal with them in the future.
- Phase Four: Self-Care, so you can start learning how to take good care of yourself, regain your freedom, take back control of your life and the joy of living.
- … & Much More!