This post contains some of the best Maya Angelou self-love quotes.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Maya Angelou Self Love Quotes
1. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” ― Maya Angelou
2. “Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it!” ― Maya Angelou
3. “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.” ― Maya Angelou
4. “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” ― Maya Angelou
5. “I don’t trust people who don’t love themselves and tell me, ‘I love you.’ … There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.” ― Maya Angelou
6. “If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?” ― Maya Angelou
7. “It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” ― Maya Angelou
8. “I’ve learned that even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one.” ― Maya Angelou
9. “Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.” ― Maya Angelou
10. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” ― Maya Angelou
11. “Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.” ― Maya Angelou
12. “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” ― Maya Angelou
13. “Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing to the whole woman.” ― Maya Angelou
14. “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” ― Maya Angelou
15. “Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.” ― Maya Angelou
16. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou
17. “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” ― Maya Angelou
18. “You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.” ― Maya Angelou
19. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” ― Maya Angelou
20. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” ― Maya Angelou
21. “A woman who is convinced that she deserves to accept only the best challenges herself to give the best. Then she is living phenomenally.” ― Maya Angelou
22. “Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women.” ― Maya Angelou
23. “Live as though life was created for you.” ― Maya Angelou
24. “The main thing in one’s own private world is to try to laugh as much as you cry.” ― Maya Angelou
25. “My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart.” ― Maya Angelou
FREE Self-Love Resources
- The Gifts of Imperfection By Brené Brown
- Self-Love Workbook for Women By Megan Logan
- Self-Love Workbook for Black Women By Rachel Johnson
- Self-Care Worksheets: Download PDF
- Self-Compassionate Statements: Download PDF
- Self-Esteem Worksheets: Download PDF
- Say yes to you : a guide to self-love | Lily Zhao
- Self-Love: If You Do Only One Thing, Do This! | Frankie Côté
- Self-Love, be Intentional | Caitlyn Roux
- Mary’s Cup of Tea Podcast: The Self-Love Podcast for Women: Mary Jelkovsky’s podcast explores the depths of feminism, body positivity, self-worth and much more.
- She’s All Fat: A podcast described as ‘radical self-love’ hosted by Sophie and April.
Hadiah is a counselor who is passionate about supporting individuals on their journey towards mental well-being. Hadiah not only writes insightful articles on various mental health topics but also creates engaging and practical mental health worksheets.
As a BetterHelp affiliate, we may receive a commission from BetterHelp, at zero cost to you, if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.