This post contains couples journal prompts and couple journal ideas that will help you increase intimacy and improve your relationship.
Types of Intimacy
Physical intimacy – includes touching, hugging, cuddling, kissing, and sex.
Emotional intimacy – includes sharing your internal world, expressing your emotions, etc.
Intellectual intimacy – includes having meaningful conversations, exchanging ideas, etc.
Spiritual intimacy – includes sharing beliefs or values, engaging in activities related to those shared beliefs, etc.
What is Emotional Intimacy?
Emotional intimacy is more than just being ‘in love’ or having sex.
Emotional intimacy is a feeling of closeness and emotional safety you share with your partner.
These feelings come from feeling seen, heard, and accepted for who you are.
Emotional intimacy is based on healthy communication.
The couples journal prompts below will help you achieve that.
What Are Journal Prompts?
Journal prompts are writing prompts or questions designed to inspire personal reflection and self-discovery.
They can be used in a variety of settings, such as journaling, creative writing, therapy, or personal growth exercises.
Journal prompts can range from broad and open-ended questions to specific prompts that target certain thoughts or emotions.
They can be used as a tool to explore feelings, process experiences, and gain insights about oneself.
The goal of journal prompts is to encourage introspection, creativity, and personal growth through written expression.
21 Couples Journal Prompts
1. What is on your mind lately?
2. Is there something you are struggling with at the moment?
3. Has there been anything that has been annoying you about us/me lately?
4. Are you happy with the distribution of responsibilities/chores?
5. Do you feel supported in general?
6. When have you felt most loved by me lately?
7. What can I do regularly so you feel loved and cared for?
8. What helps you feel better when you’re having a bad day?
9. What have we done together in the past that you enjoyed and would like us to do more of?
10. What’s your favorite thing about our relationship?
11. Are there any behaviors you would like to improve in yourself for the benefit of the relationship?
12. Are there any problematic patterns in our relationship?
13. What’s something you’d like us to work on or improve?
14. Do we have enough quality time together?
15. What’s our communication like lately? Are there any aspects of our communication that could be improved?
16. Is there anything you miss in our relationship right now?
17. Is there anything I can do to make your life easier?
18. Is there something you feel I’ve been taking for granted lately?
19. Are you satisfied with our sexual relationship?
20. How healthy do you feel our relationship is?
21. Do you feel safe enough to be vulnerable with me?
Benefits of Using Couples Journal Prompts
Using couples journal prompts can be extremely beneficial for a couple in many ways, some of the benefits are:
1. Improve Communication: One of the biggest benefits of using couples journal prompts is that it helps improve communication between partners. It provides an opportunity for both individuals to express themselves and really listen to what their partner has to say.
2. Strengthen Emotional Connection: By sharing thoughts and feelings through writing, couples can build a deeper emotional connection with each other. Journal prompts can help get to the root of emotions that may be difficult to express verbally.
3. Increase Intimacy: When couples share personal thoughts and feelings through journaling, it can lead to increased intimacy and understanding between partners.
4. Reduce Conflict: Writing and discussing sensitive topics through journal prompts can help reduce conflict, as it provides a safe and non-judgmental space where both partners can express themselves.
5. Promote Reflection and Self-Awareness: Couples journal prompts encourage reflection and self-awareness, which can lead to personal growth and a stronger relationship.
How to Use Couples Journal Prompts?
Here are some steps to get started:
1. Choose a quiet and comfortable location where you and your partner can sit down and write together.
2. Decide how often you would like to journal together, whether it’s daily, weekly or monthly.
3. Take turns selecting a journal prompt for each journal session. You can find journal prompts online, in books, or create your own.
4. Set a timer for a specific amount of time, such as 15-30 minutes, and begin writing your responses to the journal prompt.
5. After the time is up, take turns sharing your responses with each other. Use active listening skills to fully hear and understand your partner’s perspective.
6. Reflect on the insights and revelations that come up during your journaling sessions, and use this newfound knowledge to strengthen your relationship.
Related: Best 10 Self Discovery Books
Small Ways to Deepen Emotional Intimacy
- Tell your partner what you appreciate about them.
- Tell them what you find attractive about them.
- Express to your partner what you need, like, and desire.
- Learn about their likes and dislikes.
- Ask yourself what makes you feel connected to your partner and tell them.
- Take turns planning surprises for each other
- Do things together that you enjoy.
- Have a regular date night
- Have regular relationship check-ins
- Be vulnerable by sharing your internal world with them.
Using couples journal prompts can be a great way to enhance your relationship and deepen your connection with your partner.
Remember, the most important part of using couples journal prompts is to approach them with an open and non-judgmental mindset.
Be willing to explore deeper feelings and emotions with your partner, and encourage each other to express yourselves freely and honestly.
FREE Printable Relationship Worksheets (PDF)
- UNDERSTANDING EMOTIONAL INTIMACY: A REVIEW OF CONCEPTUALIZATION, ASSESSMENT AND THE ROLE OF GENDER on JSTOR
- Emotional Accessibility Is More Important Than Sexual Accessibility in Evaluating Romantic Relationships – Especially for Women: A Conjoint Analysis – PMC (nih.gov)
- The associations of intimacy and sexuality in daily life – PMC (nih.gov)
- Understanding emotional intimacy: A review of conceptualization, assessment and the role of gender | Request PDF (researchgate.net)
- (PDF) Emotional Dynamics in Intimate Relationships (researchgate.net)
- Correction to: Emotional intimacy and sexual well-being in aging European couples: a cross-cultural mediation analysis | SpringerLink
- Emotional intimacy, sexual desire, and sexual satisfaction among partnered heterosexual men: Sexual and Relationship Therapy: Vol 29, No 2 (tandfonline.com)
As a BetterHelp affiliate, we may receive a commission from BetterHelp, at zero cost to you, if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.