The following are some of the best couples therapy books to help you enjoy a more fulfilling relationship.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Couples Therapy Books
By John Gottman
The book offers a powerful, simple five-step program, based on twenty years of innovative research, for greatly improving all of the relationships in your life—with spouses and lovers, children, siblings, and even your colleagues at work.
Dr. John M. Gottman:
– Reveals the key elements of healthy relationships, emphasizing the importance of what he calls “emotional connection”
– Introduces the powerful new concept of the emotional “bid,” the fundamental unit of emotional connection
– Provides remarkably empowering tools for improving the way you bid for emotional connection and how you respond to others’ bids
– And more!
Related: Do We Need Couples Therapy Quiz
By Gary Chapman
In The 5 Apology Languages you will learn to:
- Express regret: “I’m sorry.”
- Accept responsibility: “I was wrong.”
- Make restitution: “How can I make it right?”
- Plan for change: “I’ll take steps to prevent a reoccurrence.”
- Request forgiveness: “Can you find it in your heart to . . . ?”
By David Richo
Adult love is based on a mutual commitment to what Richo calls the “five A’s”: attention, acceptance, appreciation, affection, and allowing.
This book will help you become more mindful in our relationships through practical exercises for couples and singles and heartening insights into a lifelong journey of love.
Workbooks For Couples
By Gina Senarighi PhD
In her book, Gottman-certified relationship coach Dr. Gina Senarighi offers tools and strategies to communicate effectively, rebuild trust, and repair past hurts.
Love More, Fight Less features:
- 30 COMMUNICATION SKILLS AND ACTIVITIES for building self-awareness, identifying and interrupting emotional reactivity, eliminating judgment, separating thoughts from feelings, and more
- 29 COMMON PITFALLS IN RELATIONSHIPS around issues of intimacy, career, finances, family and home matters, and friendships with other people–and how to navigate them
- STEP-BY-STEP GUIDANCE AND EXPERT INSIGHT to help you transform your relationship’s conflict patterns by integrating effective communication skills
By Kathleen Mates-Youngman
The Couples Therapy Workbook is a series of guided questions to promote meaningful couple conversations and build ongoing, connected communication.
The workbook is set in a weekly format over 30 days but can be tailored to any timeframe.
By Lori Cluff Schade PhD LMFT
The Couples Therapy Workbook for Healing is a helpful toolkit containing expert advice and activities to help both of you cultivate stronger attachment bonds and greater relationship satisfaction through Emotionally Focused Therapy.
By Jill Squyres Groubert PhD
This workbook shows you how to work through conflict more effectively and respectfully, so you can create a healthy foundation of communication and enjoy each other even more.
The workbook contains:
- A guided format—Stay motivated with weekly advice and activities that are simple to do and easy to understand, on a manageable 8-week timeline.
- A holistic approach—Focus on a different theme each week: communication, intimacy, conflict, money matters, social styles, relationship patterns, values, and love languages.
- Proven strategies—Find tips and techniques written by an expert and rooted in real therapy treatments to repair and strengthen your relationship.
Questions Books For Couples
By Maggie Reyes
This book of questions is full of insightful and revealing topics, so you and your partner can connect and have a blast discovering what makes each of you unique and a great match for each other.
Spark conversation and grow closer with these 400 questions for couples.
By Crystal Schwanke
The Couple’s Activity Book can help you enhance your connection with playful, interactive games and activities.
The games in The Couple’s Activity Book range from fun fill-in-the-blanks and word scrambles to more involved activities, like themed date nights, DIY day spas, and becoming tourists in your own hometown. Some can be done spontaneously. Others need a little preparation for a truly special experience.
How Couples Therapy Books Can Help?
Couples therapy books can be incredibly helpful in improving relationships and addressing any challenges or conflicts that may arise. Here are a few ways in which they can help:
1. Understanding Relationship Dynamics: Couples therapy books often delve into the different dynamics and patterns that can exist within a relationship. By reading about these dynamics, couples can gain a deeper understanding of their own relationship and identify areas where improvement may be needed.
2. Communication Skills: Effective communication is crucial for a healthy relationship. Couples therapy books typically offer various strategies and techniques for improving communication between partners. These tools can help couples express their needs, concerns, and emotions more clearly, leading to better understanding and connection.
3. Conflict Resolution: Conflict is a normal part of any relationship, but learning how to resolve conflicts in a constructive and respectful manner is essential. Couples therapy books often provide step-by-step approaches to managing conflicts, teaching couples how to navigate difficult conversations and find mutually beneficial solutions.
4. Strengthening Emotional Connection: Many couples struggle with maintaining a strong emotional connection over time. Books on couples therapy can teach couples how to deepen their emotional bond through activities, shared experiences, and simple gestures of love and appreciation.
5. Identifying and Addressing Issues: Sometimes, couples may encounter specific issues that require extra attention and guidance. Couples therapy books can provide insights into common problems such as infidelity, intimacy issues, parenting disagreements, and more. They offer practical advice on how to address these issues and work towards resolution.
While couples therapy books can be a valuable resource, they are not a substitute for professional therapy.
If you and your partner are experiencing significant relationship challenges, it may be beneficial to seek the guidance of a licensed couples therapist.
Hadiah is a counselor who is passionate about supporting individuals on their journey towards mental well-being. Hadiah not only writes insightful articles on various mental health topics but also creates engaging and practical mental health worksheets.
As a BetterHelp affiliate, we may receive a commission from BetterHelp, at zero cost to you, if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.