The following are some of the best self compassion books about to help you embark on your recovery journey.
- Self Compassion Books
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Self Compassion Books
By Dr. Kristin Neff
More and more, psychologists are turning away from an emphasis on self-esteem and moving toward self-compassion in the treatment of their patients—and Dr. Neff’s extraordinary book offers exercises and action plans for dealing with every emotionally debilitating struggle, be it parenting, weight loss, or any of the numerous trials of everyday living.
Related: How To Be Gentle With Yourself? Top 5 Ways To Practice Self-Compassion
2. The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook
By Kristin Neff, Christopher Germer
This science-based workbook offers a step-by-step approach to breaking free of harsh self-judgments and impossible standards in order to cultivate emotional well-being. In a convenient large-size format, the book is based on the authors’ groundbreaking eight-week Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) program, which has helped tens of thousands of people worldwide. It is packed with guided meditations (with audio downloads); informal practices to do anytime, anywhere; exercises; and vivid stories of people using the techniques to address relationship stress, weight and body image issues, health concerns, anxiety, and other common problems.
Related: Self-Compassion Quiz (+FREE Self-Compassion Resources)
3. The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion
By Christopher K. Germer
This wise and eloquent book illuminates the power of self-compassion and offers creative, scientifically grounded strategies for putting it into action. Free audio downloads of the meditation exercises are available at the author’s website: www.chrisgermer.com.
Related: Best 18 Self Compassion Journal Prompts (+FREE Worksheets)
4. Fierce Self-Compassion
By Dr. Kristin Neff
Drawing on a wealth of research, her personal life story and empirically supported practices, Neff demonstrates how women can use fierce and tender self-compassion to succeed in the workplace, engage in caregiving without burning out, be authentic in relationships, and end the silence around sexual harassment and abuse. Most women intuitively recognize fierceness as part of their true nature, but have been discouraged from developing it. Women must reclaim their power in order to create a healthier society and find lasting happiness. In this wise, caring, and enlightening book, Neff shows women how to create balance within themselves, so they can help restore balance in the world.
Related: How To Start A Self Love Journey? Top 10 Powerful Ways to Love Yourself More
5. The Self-Compassion Deck
By Christopher Willard, Mitch Abblett, Tim Desmond
The Self-Compassion Deck offers 50 mindfulness-based practices for use at home, in the classroom, or therapy office. Commit to these easy, yet meaningful exercises in kindheartedness and gain a deeper appreciation for yourself and your life.
Related: Top 5 Self Love Exercises (+FREE Self-Love Resources)
6. Radical Compassion
By Tara Brach
In this heartfelt and deeply practical book, Tara Brach offers an antidote: an easy-to-learn four-step meditation that quickly loosens the grip of difficult emotions and limiting beliefs. Each step in the meditation practice (Recognize, Allow, Investigate, Nurture) is brought to life by memorable stories shared by Tara and her students as they deal with feelings of overwhelm, loss, and self-aversion, with painful relationships, and past trauma–and as they discover step-by-step the sources of love, forgiveness, compassion, and deep wisdom alive within all of us.
Related: Top 45 Self Care Day Ideas at Home To Kickstart Your Self Care Ritual
7. How to Be Nice to Yourself
By Laura Silberstein-Tirch
How to Be Nice to Yourself: The Everyday Guide to Self Compassion includes:
- Proven Strategies—Learn a variety of ways to practice self compassion daily—with meditations, writing exercises, and more.
- Practical Advice—Bring self compassion to your thoughts, emotions, and actions with exercises that can easily be applied to your daily life.
- Personalized Approach—Customize your self compassion practice with a personalized plan based on what matters to you and the kind of changes you want to see.
Related: Why Self Love Isn’t Selfish (+Best 9 Ways To Grow In Self-Love)
8. The Self-Compassion Workbook
By Joy Johnson LCSW
The Self-Compassion Workbook includes:
- Clear mind—Navigate your healing journey with ease using simple and approachable guidance, and chapters organized by thoughts, emotions, and behavior.
- Kind words—Relatable stories, and positive affirmations will remind you to refocus and remember to be compassionate.
- Self-help—Find proven strategies and exercises drawing from mindfulness, positive psychology, and ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) fields.
Related: Top 18 Self Esteem Exercises (+FREE CBT For Self-Esteem Worksheets PDF)
9. The Self-Compassion Skills Workbook
By Tim Desmond LMFT
Tim Desmond’s “Map to Self-Compassion” will engage your mind, heart, and spirit. It will improve your ability to motivate yourself with kindness; regulate and defuse intense emotions, anxiety, and depression; be resilient during life’s challenges; let go of self-criticism and destructive behavior; heal painful experiences; and be more present and compassionate with others. Experience the benefits firsthand! Features downloadable audio recordings for on-the-go practice.
Related: How Confident Am I Quiz (+Best 13 Practical Tools To Feel More Confident)
10. Self-Love Workbook for Women
By Megan Logan MSW LCSW
What sets this self-care journal and workbook apart from other self-love workbooks for women:
- Proven techniques—Fall in love with yourself using a variety of compassionate exercises rooted in mindfulness and positive psychology.
- Inspiring prompts and motivating activities—Explore all that you are with quizzes and journaling exercises that will help you tap into your emotions and let go of limiting beliefs. Includes writing space for reflection and introspection.
- Empowering affirmations—Boost your positivity and nurture yourself using the uplifting affirmations interspersed throughout the book.