This post contains some of the best compassion fatigue quotes.
What Is Compassion Fatigue?
Compassion fatigue is a term that describes the physical, emotional, and psychological impact related helping others — often through experiences of stress or trauma.
Compassion fatigue is sometimes called a secondhand trauma, or secondary stress reaction because of compassion fatigue’s link to professions that involve healing or helping capacity, such as medicine, therapy, legal professions, etc.
Sings of compassion fatigue are similar to those of trauma or stress, such as mood swings, experiencing detachment, feelings of anxiety or depression, trouble sleeping, etc.
Top 15 Compassion Fatigue Quotes
1. “Balance is not better time management, but better boundary management. Balance means making choices and enjoying those choices.” — Betsy Jacobson
2. “Being overwhelmed means that your life or work is overpowering you. Regain control by clarifying your intentions, setting realistic expectations, and focusing on your next step.” — Daphne Michaels
3. “Cut yourself some slack. You’re doing better than you think.” — Unknown
4. “I discovered that compassion fatigue is a real thing. Emotions, so strong at first, can easily shift into apathy. The subsequent guilt is paralyzing; it can prevent us from ever doing anything and freeze us into inaction. No wonder some people live for themselves, unaware of or unengaged with those who desperately need help. When global problems overwhelm, the human tendency is to do nothing.” ― Chris Marlow
5. “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.” — Lou Holtz
6. “No beating yourself up. That’s not allowed. Be patient with yourself.” — Holly Mosier
7. “Nobody’s perfect, so give yourself credit for everything you’re doing right, and be kind to yourself when you struggle.” — Lori Deschene
8. “Self-care is giving yourself permission to pause.” — Cecilia Tran
9. “Self-care is how you take your power back.” — Lalah Delia
10. “Slowly you may have transformed from a helper to one in need of help. It’s important to talk about this, to identify the wounds you carry.” ― Jenn Bruer
11. “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” — Etty Hillesum
12. “Take rest. A field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.” — Ovid
13. “We have outstretched our personal boundaries and forgotten that true happiness comes from living an authentic life fueled with a sense of purpose and balance.” — Dr. Kathleen Hall
14. “While we can offer our guidance and a shoulder to cry on, our responsibility does not lie in fixing others and their problems. We need to draw the line when it comes to giving help and remember that other people must ultimately take responsibility for their happiness, not us.” ― Aletheia Luna
15. “You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.” — Unknown
- Compassion fatigue – Wikipedia
- Compassion Fatigue: Symptoms To Look For (webmd.com)
- Compassion Fatigue Awareness Project – Home
- Compassion Fatigue among Healthcare, Emergency and Community Service Workers: A Systematic Review – PMC (nih.gov)
- Compassion Fatigue | Psychology Today
- Compassion Fatigue: Watch for These Warning Signs | Banner (bannerhealth.com)